Have you ever heard of the term malocclusion? A malocclusion, commonly referred to as a bad bite, happens when there is some kind of misalignment in your jaw or teeth. This is often only correctable with the help of an orthodontist. To learn more about malocclusion, please read the following:
Many malocclusions are related to the positioning of your incisors, the pointy teeth in between your four front teeth and premolars. This often indicates the position of your lower arch to your upper arch or the state of your jaw. Here are some of these malocclusions:
– Misplaced midlines: The top and bottom incisors fail to line up in the direct center of each other.
– Underbites: The top and bottom incisors fail to line up and the bottom ones jut out in front of the top ones.
– Overbites: The top and bottom incisors fail to line up and the top overhangs the bottom.
– Open bites: The top and bottom incisors fail to line up when you bite down.
Here are some other types of malocclusions:
– Rotation malocclusion: Teeth are situated out of average alignment.
– Spacing malocclusion: There are irregular spaces and gaps between your teeth.
– Transposition malocclusion: Your teeth erupt in the wrong location or position, causing crowding or blocking another tooth from coming in.
If you would like to book a malocclusion consultation, simply talk to our orthodontic office in Austin, Texas, at our number 512-346-1384. Dr. Stephan Ramsay and our entire team await. The perfect smile of your dreams is only a visit away!